Avery School of Motoring Privacy Notice
1. About this service
The Avery School of Motoring (ASM) collects and processes your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice. This notice provides you with information regarding my obligations and your rights in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The Avery School of Motoring is a single instructor driving school owned and run by myself, Nigel Avery. It provides a range of driver training services for both theory and practical tests to customers who need to take a driving test for a certain category of vehicle or for customers who do not need to take a test but require further training for their vehicle of choice.
The data controller for ASM is Nigel Avery.
2. What data I need
The personal data I collect from you will include:
- full name and title
- address, telephone number and email address
- date of birth
- disability, health conditions and learning difficulties, if you say you have any and need reasonable adjustments for your driving test
- driving licence number and entitlement details (provided by DVLA), disqualification dates (if you’ve been disqualified) and previous driving licence numbers (if you have any)
- type of test you’re taking - if you’re taking an approved driving instructor (ADI) test or standards check, we will collect your personal reference number
- the language you’ve asked to use when you take your test (English and Welsh)
- payment details – if paying by credit or debit card a Paypal card reading machine is used
- after your training I may ask permission to use a photo of yourself on my website and for other marketing purposes.
- Dash-cam footage recorded by forward and rearward facing cameras mounted in the ASM vehicle
The legal basis for processing this data is:
- Contract: The processing of this data is necessary for a contract you have with me to enable me to provide the necessary training.
- Consent: The use of a photo of yourself is only possible with your consent. You have the right to refuse.
3. Why I need it
I need the personal data I collect from you to:
- check you’re entitled to take a driving test
- check you are entitled to drive the vehicle you are undertaking the training in
- book your driving test appointment
- take the payment for your training
- send you a confirmation of your booking where appropriate
- contact you if I need to change your booking
- evidence in the case of an insurance claim or police investigation
4. What I do with it
I collect, use and store the data you give me for the reasons set out in this policy.
I will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
I will share your data if we are required to do so by law - for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
Whilst I will never disclose or share your data with others without your consent, I use a third party processor to provide a theory test service and the DVSA on line test booking service. These companies will process or store your information on my behalf.
I use the following third parties:
- I use Theory Test Pro to provide Theory test preparation and training. I have access to and viewed this company’s privacy notice.
- DVSA on line booking system for booking your practical driving tests.
- I ensure all processors acting on my behalf act in accordance with this privacy notice.
5. How long I keep your data
I will only keep your personal data for as long as it is needed for the reasons set out in this policy or for as long as is required by law.
In general, this means that I will only hold your personal data for 6 years from the date of your last driving test or completion of your training.
7. Protecting your data and your rights
Under GDPR you have the right to access personal information that the Avery School of Motoring processes about you.
You can request from me information about –
- The personal data I hold about you
- The categories of personal data concerned
- The purposes of the processing
- Details to whom your personal data has/will be disclosed
- How long I retain your personal data
- If I did not collect the data directly from you, information about the source
You may also request from me the following-
- That I update any incomplete or inaccurate data about you
- Request that I delete your personal data in accordance with GDPR
You may request I action your rights by contacting me at the address shown in section 9 below.
To ensure your data is protected, if I receive a request from you to exercise your rights, I will ask you to verify your identity before acting on the request.
8. Changes to this notice
I may change this privacy notice at my discretion at any time.
9. How to contact us
If you have any questions about anything in this document or if you consider that your personal data has been misused or mishandled then please contact Nigel Avery by email: email@example.com in writing to
Avery School of Motoring
2 Brooke Cottages
Kent CT3 2DA